Sunday, June 29, 2014

HAVOK with Wretched, Untimely Demise, Dissolution and Norse Mara @ The Zoo, June 21st, 2014

Finally back on the cold, metal horse! I've decided to try and make it to a lot more shows, at least until I get too busy with other things. I'm still loving the photography gig and seeing everyone at shows. It's nice to see a lot of new faces too! Thank you very much to Cory for allowing me to do my thing at his shows, and it's a pleasure to see him play drums. Cory is a local institution in and of himself, so kudos to him for always busting his ass for the metal community here in Winnipeg.

Broken bottles- A constant struggle behind the barrier.














There seemed to be a lot of people at this show, which is excellent, and at $20 a ticket, that's a lot of entertainment. I totally missed Norse Mara though, but if anyone recommends I see them, well, I'll make the effort eventually. As for Dissolution, they've been slaying for years, and this time was no exception. You should check out their new release Natural Selection and look out for them playing more shows. They are streaming most, if not all, of their tracks online, but you know the drill- support local artists! A Rust Coloured Dawn was one song they played that I remembered vividly and I'll be playing that track on The Metal Lunchbox sometime again soon.














Of course, we have Untimely Demise, who is practically a Winnipeg band not only because Cory is in it, but because they seem to live here. They really tightened the screws for their live performance since the last time I saw them. Their new album Systematic Eradication has all the potential to be widely acclaimed as a GOOD FUCKING ALBUM.  Again, buy their stuff, support local. They're fun dudes, and they are totally dedicated to the genre. Not to mention, I got a lot of pictures of Cory with his shirt off. Admit it, you're all fans.









I cannot discount the hardcore feel of Wretched and their performance, but we do we expect? They're on Victory Records. Holy jeeze, does their vocalist Adam ever work hard on stage. I had a wonderful time taking pictures of these fellas and I hope you all enjoyed their performance. Again, super warm in The Zoo- which leads to super shirtless. The presence and feel was all there, so thanks to this American band for making it across the border to drive metal into our ears!







Finally, there was Havok. Hanging out in the Zoo before and after the show because they're just awesome dudes. I was surprised to find that they remembered me from their last gig here, two years ago at the Pyramid! For anyone who doesn't know, they were the last people in War On Music before it burned down on Albert Street.










Havok played a pretty killer set of  a good mix of songs from their new album Unnatural Selection and what could already be considered classics, such as "Afterburner" and "Covering Fire". Their new bassist, Mike Leon, is just about the best person I could possibly want to take pictures of. And I don't mean in an oiled up, on the beach, cologne campaign kind of "best". The guy has a million faces and is ridiculously entertaining. Hell, they all are. World class showmanship is what Havok has got on board, and I'm not just saying that because they're excellent dudes. They really do bring their own brand of thrash and are so damn down to Earth. I couldn't be more pleased to talk with Havok again and catch up. Again, buy their shit so they can keep thrashing instead of working at bars for a living, making tips and selling vacuums door to door. That's a fate I wish upon no one.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Reece, Mike and David after the show, not so much Pete, but I hear he's a cool guy. Reece told me about their plans for the next little while and their new album plans; which includes some Dokken-esque stuff. Songs about love? We'll just have to find out!

I just want to thank everyone who has been supporting me, unbeknownst, but I know you're out there, helping me help you out. What goes around, comes around!

Now for the pictures! Which can be viewed HERE and for just Havok --> HERE

Hope you guys like this stuff. Comment and let me know which pics are your favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment